- This Privacy Statement details A Modern Gay’s Guide’s policy regarding any personal information you might supply to us via the A Modern Gay’s Guide website at www.amoderngaysguide.com (Website), and how the information may be used.
- This Privacy Statement applies to and should be read in conjunction with the Website Terms and Conditions of Use which are available on the Website. By viewing and using the Website, you will be deemed to have agreed to the matters described in this Privacy Statement.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide is entitled, at its sole discretion, to amend, add or remove any part of this Privacy Statement at any time without notice. You should periodically review this Privacy Statement to ensure that you are up to date with any such amendments, additions or removals.
Collection of personal information
- A Modern Gay’s Guide collects and holds information about you when you provide it to us. A Modern Gay’s Guide primarily collects personal information from you (including information such as your name, email address and date of birth) through written and electronic means of communication when you interact with us. This may occur when you subscribe to our newsletter, log in to or register for an account, enter a competition, submit a reader review, send us an email, or post on our Website or one of our social media platforms/accounts.
- Information sent by your web browser may be automatically collected. This information typically includes your domain name (i.e. the site after the @ in your e-mail address). It may also contain your user name (i.e. the name before the @ in your e-mail address). Other examples of information collected by our server include the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, operating system and platform, the average time spent on the Website, pages viewed, information searched for, access time, websites visited before and other relevant statistics. The amount of information sent depends on the settings you have on your web browser.
- You may also choose to communicate with A Modern Gay’s Guide anonymously or using a pseudonym, however doing so may restrict your ability to interact with certain sections of the Website (such as reader reviews), may affect A Modern Gay’s Guide’s ability to provide you with products, services or benefits and may prevent the processing of any payments or requests.
Use and disclosure of personal information
- A Modern Gay’s Guide may use your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. This purpose will be a purpose that is reasonably expected at the time of collection and may be specified in a privacy collection statement at the point of collection. A Modern Gay’s Guide may also use your personal information for a secondary related purpose. By submitting your personal information, you consent to A Modern Gay’s Guide using it to:
- a) provide you with products and services (both our own and those of other entities) that may be of interest to you; b) collect payments and/or administer your account;
- c) provide you with updated or new information about products and services (both our own and those of other entities);
- d) monitor online activity on the Website;
- e) identify you and your posts or activities on our Website to other users and/or the public;
- f) conduct competitions;
- g) develop existing and new A Modern Gay’s Guide products and services;
- h) maintain and update our business infrastructure, databases and systems;
- i) promote our and our suppliers’ other products and services to you; and
- j) do any other act or thing required or authorised by law.
- In providing our products and services or collecting and using your personal information, we may be required to disclose some of your personal information to third party organisations, including:
- a) outsourced service providers and their personnel;
- b) third parties authorised by you to receive personal information held by us;
- c) our legal, accounting, financial or other professional advisors;
- d) regulatory, government and other authorities as required by law; and
- e) our related organisations.
- All information sent by your web browser will be used only to assist us for the purposes of providing an effective service on the Website. We may from time to time supply the owners or operators of third party websites from which it is possible to link to the Website with information relating to the number of users linking to the Website from such third party website. You will not personally be identifiable from this information.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide may use the information that it automatically receives from your web browser to see which pages you visit within the Website, which website you visited before coming to ours, and where you go after you leave. A Modern Gay’s Guide can then develop statistics that are helpful in understanding how our visitors use the Website. We may use this information to measure the use of the Website and to administer and improve the Website. Once aggregated for statistical purposes, you will not be personally identified from this information. This statistical data is interpreted by A Modern Gay’s Guide in its continuing effort to present the Website content that visitors are seeking in a format they find most helpful.
Will you receive direct marketing?
- If you provide us with your personal information and you consent to receiving direct marketing communications from A Modern Gay’s Guide, you authorise us to send you promotional messages and materials related to A Modern Gay’s Guide’s products and services, unless you submit a later request not to receive direct marketing communications.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide’s direct marketing messages and materials will contain a prominent statement (including, for electronic messages, a functional unsubscribe facility) that you may request not to receive direct marketing communications.
Will your information be disclosed overseas?
- A Modern Gay’s Guide is unlikely to disclose your personal information to any person or entity outside Australia, but will inform you if and when this is necessary.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide may store some information on your computer such as cookies when you visit the Website. Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to the hard drive of a visitor’s computer for record-keeping purposes. This information facilitates your use of the Website. You can erase or choose to block this information from your computer if you want to. Erasing or blocking such information may limit the range of features available to you on the Website.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of any information you provide to us.
- A Modern Gay’s Guide will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed.
Links to other sites
- You may be able to access other sites external to the Website by clicking on links that have been provided throughout the Website. A Modern Gay’s Guide is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other websites. As these sites are not part of A Modern Gay’s Guide, you will need to contact the organisation/institution that administers the site directly to obtain information about their privacy statement or policy.
Contacting us / Complaints
- You generally have the right to access personal information we hold about you subject to the restrictions provided by law. We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you have a complaint in relation to the collection, use or and disclosure of your personal information, please contact A Modern Gay’s Guide via the details provided below. A Modern Gay’s Guide will review all complaints received and respond to each complainant upon due consideration (which may require further information to be provided).
- If you are concerned about our use of your personal information, or if you would like to review or change the information you have supplied us with, please email us at email@example.com with the subject line, “Privacy”. We reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee for access to this information.
Further Information on Privacy
- You may obtain further information regarding privacy issues in Australia by visiting the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website at www.privacy.gov.au.